Table of contents
- BP202T Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry I Theory Syllabus
- Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
BP202T Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry I Theory Syllabus
Classification, nomenclature and isomerism
Classification of Organic Compounds
Common and IUPAC systems of nomenclature of organic compounds (up to 10 Carbons open chain and carbocyclic compounds)
Structural isomerisms in organic compounds
Alkanes, Alkenes and Conjugated dienes
SP3 hybridization in alkanes, Halogenation of alkanes, uses of paraffins.
Stabilities of alkenes, SP2 hybridization in alkenes
E1 and E2 reactions – kinetics, order of reactivity of alkyl halides, rearrangement of carbocations,
Saytzeffs orientation and evidences. E1 verses E2 reactions,
Factors affecting E1 and E2 reactions.
electrophilic addition reactions of alkenes,
free radical addition reactions of alkenes,
Anti Markownikoff’s orientation.
Stability of conjugated dienes,
Diel-Alder, electrophilic addition,
free radical addition reactions of conjugated dienes,
SN1 and SN2 reactions – kinetics, order of reactivity of alkyl halides, stereochemistry and rearrangement of carbocations.
SN1 versus SN2 reactions, Factors affecting SN1 and SN2 reactions
Structure and uses of ethylchloride, Chloroform, trichloroethylene, tetrachloroethylene, dichloromethane, tetrachloromethane and iodoform.
Qualitative tests, Structure and uses of Ethyl alcohol, Methyl alcohol, chlorobutanol, Cetosteryl alcohol, Benzyl alcohol, Glycerol, Propylene
Carbonyl compounds (Aldehydes and ketones)
Aldol condensation, Crossed Aldol condensation,
Cannizzaro reaction, Crossed Cannizzaro reaction,
Structure and uses of Formaldehyde, Paraldehyde, Acetone, Chloral hydrate, Hexamine, Benzaldehyde, Vanilin, Cinnamaldehyde.
Acidity of carboxylic acids, effect of substituents on acidity, inductive effect and qualitative tests for carboxylic acids ,amide and ester
Structure and Uses of Acetic acid, Lactic acid, Tartaric acid, Citric acid, Succinic acid. Oxalic acid, Salicylic acid, Benzoic acid, Benzyl benzoate, Dimethyl phthalate, Methyl salicylate and Acetyl salicylic acid
Basicity, effect of substituent on Basicity.
Qualitative test, Structure and uses of Ethanolamine, Ethylenediamine, Amphetamine
Recommended Books (Latest Editions)
1. Organic Chemistry by Morrison and Boyd
2. Organic Chemistry by I.L. Finar , Volume-I
3. Textbook of Organic Chemistry by B.S. Bahl & Arun Bahl.
4. Organic Chemistry by P.L.Soni
5. Practical Organic Chemistry by Mann and Saunders.
6. Vogel’s text book of Practical Organic Chemistry
7. Advanced Practical organic chemistry by N.K.Vishnoi.
8. Introduction to Organic Laboratory techniques by Pavia, Lampman and Kriz. 9. Reaction and reaction mechanism by Ahluwaliah/Chatwal.