Physical Pharmaceutics I Theory Syllabus
Physical Pharmaceutics I
UNIT-I Solubility of drugs
A quantitative approach to the factors influencing solubility of drugs (Video lecture link)
Diffusion principles in biological systems. (Video lecture link)
Solubility of gas in liquids (Video lecture link)
Solubility of liquids in liquids, (Binary solutions, ideal solutions) Raoult’s law, real solutions. (Video lecture link)
Partially miscible liquids, Critical solution temperature, and applications. (Video lecture link)
Distribution law, its limitations, and applications (Video lecture link)
UNIT-II States of Matter and properties of matter
State of matter, changes in the state of matter,
latent heats, vapor pressure, sublimation critical point, eutectic mixtures, gases, aerosols
– inhalers, relative humidity, liquid complexes, liquid crystals, glassy states, solid crystalline,
amorphous & polymorphism.
Physicochemical properties of drug molecules: Refractive index, optical rotation,
dielectric constant, dipole moment, dissociation constant, determinations and applications
UNIT-III Surface and interfacial phenomenon
Liquid interface, surface & interfacial tensions,
surface free energy, measurement of surface & interfacial tensions, spreading coefficient,
adsorption at liquid interfaces, surface
UNIT-IV Complexation and protein binding
Introduction, Classification of Complexation,
Applications, methods of analysis, protein binding, Complexation, and drug action,
crystalline structures of complexes and thermodynamic treatment of stability constants.
UNIT-V pH, buffers and Isotonic solutions
Sorensen’s pH scale, pH determination
(electrometric and calorimetric), applications of buffers, buffer equation, buffer capacity,
buffers in pharmaceutical and biological systems buffered isotonic solutions.
Physical Pharmaceutics I Recommended Books: (Latest Editions)
- Physical Pharmacy by Alfred Martin
- Experimental Pharmaceutics by Eugene, Parott.
- Tutorial Pharmacy by Cooper and Gunn.
- Stocklosam J. Pharmaceutical Calculations, Lea &Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Liberman H.A, Lachman C., Pharmaceutical Dosage forms, Tablets, Volume-1 to
3, MarcelDekkar Inc.
- Liberman H.A, Lachman C, Pharmaceutical Dosage forms. Disperse
systems, volume 1, 2, 3. Marcel Dekkar Inc.
- Physical Pharmaceutics by Ramasamy C and ManavalanR.
- LaboratoryManual of Physical Pharmaceutics, C.V.S. Subramanyam, J.
- Physical Pharmaceutics by C.V.S. Subramanyam
- Test book of Physical Phramacy, by Gaurav Jain & Roop K. Khar