Health promotion and education in school
Health promotion and education in schools are crucial in improving the overall health and well-being of children and adolescents in India. The National Health Policy 2017 emphasizes the importance of health promotion and education in schools to promote healthy behaviors and prevent diseases. The following are some of the initiatives taken by the government and other stakeholders in promoting health education and promotion in schools in India:
- National School Health Program: The National School Health Program (NSHP) aims to promote the health and well-being of school children by providing basic health services, health education, and counseling services. The program includes health screenings, immunization programs, and health education on topics such as personal hygiene, nutrition, and mental health.
- Health and Physical Education Curriculum: The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has made health and physical education a mandatory subject for students from class 1 to 12. The curriculum includes topics such as health and wellness, personal hygiene, nutrition, and mental health.
- Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya: The Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya initiative aims to promote cleanliness and hygiene in schools. The initiative provides funds for constructing toilets, promoting hand washing, and maintaining cleanliness in schools.
- Peer Education Programs: Several NGOs and government agencies have initiated peer education programs in schools, where senior students are trained to educate and mentor younger students on various health topics such as tobacco use, substance abuse, and sexual health.
- Health Promoting Schools: The World Health Organization (WHO) has initiated the Health Promoting Schools (HPS) program in India to promote a healthy school environment. The program focuses on creating a supportive environment for health and well-being, promoting healthy policies and practices, and engaging students, teachers, and parents in health promotion activities.
Overall, these initiatives aim to create a supportive environment for health and well-being in schools, promote healthy behaviors, and prevent diseases among children and adolescents in India.
Final Year B Pharm Notes, Syllabus, Books, PDF Subjectwise/Topicwise