Dietary supplements and Nutraceuticals Notes, PDF, Books
a. Definitions of Functional Foods, Nutraceuticals and Dietary supplements.
Classification of Nutraceuticals,
Health problems and diseases:
Phytochemicals as nutraceuticals:
Occurrence and characteristic features(chemical nature medicinal benefits) of following
a) Carotenoids- Alpha-carotene,
b) Sulfides: Diallyl sulfides,
c) Polyphenolics: Reservetrol
d) Flavonoids- Rutin,
e) Prebiotics / Probiotics.: Fructooligosaccharides,
f) Phyto estrogens : Isoflavones,
h) Proteins, vitamins, minerals, cereal, vegetables and beverages as functional foods: oats,
a) Introduction to free radicals:
Reactive oxygen species,
Production of free radicals in cells,
Damaging reactions of free radicals on lipids, proteins, carbohydrates, and nucleic acids.
b) Dietary fibres and complex carbohydrates as functional food ingredients.
a) Free radicals in Diabetes mellitus, Inflammation, Ischemic reperfusion injury, Cancer, Atherosclerosis
Free radicals in brain metabolism and pathology, kidney damage, and muscle damage.
Free radicals involvement in other disorders.
Free radicals theory of ageing.
enzymatic and nonenzymatic antioxidant defence,
Glutathione Vitamin C,
α- Lipoic acid,
Butylated hydroxy Toluene,
Butylated hydroxy Anisole.
c) Functional foods for chronic disease prevention
a) Effect of processing, storage and interactions of various environmental factors on the potential of nutraceuticals.
b) Regulatory Aspects; FSSAI, FDA, FPO, MPO, AGMARK. HACCP and GMPs on Food Safety. Adulteration of foods.
c) Pharmacopoeial Specifications for dietary supplements and nutraceuticals.
- Dietetics by Sri Lakshmi
- Role of dietary fibres and neutraceuticals in preventing diseases by K.T Agusti and P.Faizal: BSPunblication.
- Advanced Nutritional Therapies by Cooper. K.A., (1996).
- The Food Pharmacy by Jean Carper, Simon & Schuster, UK Ltd., (1988).
- Prescription for Nutritional Healing by James F.Balch and Phyllis A.Balch 2nd Edn., Avery Publishing Group, NY (1997).
- G. Gibson and C.williams Editors 2000 Functional foods Woodhead Publ.Co.London.
- Goldberg, I. Functional Foods. 1994. Chapman and Hall, New York.
- Labuza, T.P. 2000 Functional Foods and Dietary Supplements: Safety, Good Manufacturing Practice (GMPs) and Shelf Life Testing in Essentials of Functional Foods M.K. Sachmidl and T.P. Labuza eds. Aspen Press.
- Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, Third Edition (Modern Nutrition)
- Shils, ME, Olson, JA, Shike, M. 1994 Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease. Eighth edition. Lea and Febiger
Final Year B Pharm Notes, Syllabus, Books, PDF Subjectwise/Topicwise