Salient features of Indian Pharmacopoeia
The actual process of publishing the first Pharmacopoeia started in the year 1944 under the chairmanship of Col. R. N. Chopra. The I. P. list was first published in the year 1946 and was put forth for approval. The titles are suffixed with the respective years of publication, e.g. IP 1996.
Salient features of Indian Pharmacopoeia 2018 include
- General Chemical tests and TLC for identification of an article have been almost eliminated and more specific infrared, ultraviolet spectrophotometer and HPLC tests have been given emphasis.
- The use of chromatographic methods has been greatly extended to cope with the need for more specificity in assays and in particular, in assessing the nature and extent of impurities in ingredients and products.
- Most of the existing Assays and Related Substances Test methods are upgraded by liquid chromatographic technique in view to harmonizing with other International Pharmacopoeia.
- Pyrogen tests have been replaced by Bacterial Endotoxin tests (BET) in parenteral preparations and other monographs
- 53 New Fixed-Dose Combination (FDC) combination monographs have been included, out of which 25 FDC monographs are not available in any Pharmacopoeia.
- General Chapters on Volumetric Glassware, Conductivity, Dissolution test, Disintegration test, Dimensions of Hard Gelatin Capsule Shells etc. have been revised.
- For Controlling the Microbial quality of all the medicinal products general chapter on
- Maintenance, Identification, Preservation and Disposal of Microorganism have been revised.
• 170 Chemical Monographs
• 15 Herbal Monographs
• 10 Monographs on Blood and Blood-related products
• 6 Monographs on Biotechnology derived therapeutic products
• 3 Monographs on Radiopharmaceuticals
• 2 Monographs on Vaccines and Immunosera for Human use
• 14 Monographs on Veterinary Non Biologicals
Editions of Indian Pharmacopoeia
|1st Edition||1955||–||Supplement 1960|
|2nd Edition||1966||–||Supplement 1975|
|3rd Edition||1985||2||Addendum 1989|
|4th Edition||1996||2||Addendum 2000|
|Vet Supplement 2000|
|5th Edition||2007||3||Addendum 2008|
|6th Edition||2010||3||Addendum 2012|
|7th Edition||2014||4||Addendum 2015|
|8th Edition||2018||4||Addendum 2019|