Preparation of Creams (vanishing cream): Industrial Pharmacy Practical
Aim: Preparation of 20gm of vanishing cream.
A cream is a preparation usually for application to the skin. Creams are semi-solid emulsions of oil and water. They are divided into two types: oil-in-water (0/W) creams which are composed of small droplets of oil dispersed in a continuous water phase, and water-in-oil (W/O) creams which are composed of small droplets of water dispersed in a continuous oily phase. Oil-in-water creams are more comfortable and cosmetically acceptable as they are less greasy and more easily washed off using water) Water-in-oil creams are more difficult to handle.
Vanishing creams get their name from the fact that they seem to disappear when spread on the skin. It is also known as foundation cream which are applied to skin to provide a smooth emollient base before the application of face powder and other face make up. Vanishing creams also known for their smooth, dry feel on the skin and their pearly sheen. Chemically they are oil-in-water emulsions consisting of stearic acid, an alkali, a polyol and water. The cream helps the powder to adhere to the skin and also acts as skin protectant which prevents the damaging effect caused by the environmental factors.. One characteristic due to which these vanishing creams are preferred is the ‘sheen effect’. Rather than giving a caked look to the face, they give a natural attractive sheen to the skin. Vanishing Creams has the advantage of being non-greasy which makes them suitable for use during the day. It is equally effective for normal and oily skin types.
One important constituent of the cream is hydroquinone. This chemical is well known for dispelling sallowness and freckles. Four percent hydroquinone applied consistently is supposed to vanish all the age spots. The purpose of the vanishing cream is to lighten unnecessary dark spots or discolouration on the skin.
Synonym: Foundation cream, face cream
Formulation of vanishing cream
|Ingredients||Quantity given||Quantity taken|
|Purified water||75.8 ml|
Apparatus: Beaker, measuring cylinder, glass stirring rod, thermometer. water bath pipette, spatula.
- Weigh all the required ingredients of vanishing cream properly and keep them separately.
- Take stearic acid and lanoline in a beaker and melt them at 60C.
- Take another beaker and add glycerin, tnethonalamine , water and heat up to 60C. Add the preparation of first beaker in a second beaker drop by drop with continuous stirring.
- After cooling add methyl paraben, propyl paraben, rose oil and mix them thoroughly to obtain uniform product. Provide a professional finish.
Packing: In a suitable closed collapsible tube is packed and Labeled. make. Store in well closed container, in cool place. Do not freeze.
- It helps to keep the skin moisturized.
- It is sometimes used as the base for cosmetics and make-up and evenjust plain foundation.
- Vanishing creams are also helpful in keeping the skin afresh
|Name of the test||Specification||Observation|
|Homogeneity||Homogeneous and consistent|
|Type of smear||Non- greasy|
|Emolliency||No residue left|
Vanishing cream is prepared and submitted.
Difference between cold cream and vanishing cream
|Vanishing Cream||Cold Cream|
|Vanishing cream is a lot more lightweight and less greasy.||Cold cream feels like it’s going to sit on your face like a film of grease.|
|Vanishing creams are used primarily to give skin a healthy glow.||Cold creams are usually used as an aftershave lotion or to soothe sunburns and to remove makeup.|
|Vanishing cream is a lotion that you rub into your skin.||Cold creams are applied to your face with your fingers or a cosmetic brush.|
|Vanishing cream is an oil-in-water emulsion.||Cold cream is an emulsion of water and certain fats.|
|Vanishing cream reduces loss of moisture from dry skin.||Cold cream heavily moisturises dry skin.|
- The Complete Guide to Foundation Cream: Choosing, Applying, and Enhancing Your Natural Beauty
- The Ultimate Guide to Cream Foundation Palettes
- The Best BB Cream vs Foundation: Choosing the Right One for You
- Discover the Best Cream to Powder Foundation – A Guide
- CC Cream Foundation: Everything You Need To Know
- Discover The Beauty Of Blending With A Beauty Blender
Frequently asked questions
Vanishing cream is a type of cosmetic product that is designed to be lightweight and quickly absorbed into the skin, leaving little to no residue. It is often used as a moisturizer or as a base for makeup application.
Vanishing cream typically contains ingredients that are easily absorbed by the skin, such as emollients and humectants. These ingredients help to moisturize the skin, improve its texture, and create a smooth surface for makeup application. The cream is formulated to disappear or “vanish” into the skin, leaving it feeling soft and smooth.
The main benefit of vanishing cream is its ability to moisturize the skin without leaving a heavy or greasy residue. It can help to hydrate dry skin, smooth out rough patches, and create a more even complexion. Vanishing creams are often used as a pre-makeup step to prepare the skin for foundation application. (Please refer: The Complete Guide to Foundation Cream)
Vanishing creams are generally suitable for all skin types. However, it’s always a good idea to check the specific product’s label or consult with a dermatologist if you have any concerns or specific skin conditions.
Vanishing cream is typically applied to clean, dry skin. Take a small amount of the cream and gently massage it into the face using upward strokes. Allow it to absorb fully before applying any makeup or other skincare products.
Vanishing cream can act as a moisturizer, particularly for individuals with normal to oily skin types. However, people with dry or dehydrated skin may require additional moisturizing products to address their specific needs.
Vanishing creams can vary in their formulation, and some may contain ingredients that could potentially irritate sensitive skin. If you have sensitive skin, it’s recommended to choose a vanishing cream specifically formulated for sensitive skin or consult with a dermatologist before using one.
The frequency of vanishing cream use depends on personal preference and the needs of your skin. Some individuals may choose to use it once or twice a day as part of their skincare routine, while others may only use it occasionally or before applying makeup.
Examples of marketed formulations: Ruby Kisses Cream Foundation,
Industrial Pharmacy I Practical
- Preformulation studies on paracetamol/aspirin/or any other drug
- Preparation and evaluation of Paracetamol tablets
- Preparation and evaluation of Aspirin tablets
- Coating of tablets- film coating of tables/granules
- Preparation and evaluation of Tetracycline capsules
- Preparation of Calcium Gluconate injection
- Preparation of Ascorbic Acid injection
- Quality control test of (as per IP) marketed tablets and capsules
- Preparation of Eye drops/ and Eye ointments
- Preparation of Creams (cold / vanishing cream)
- Evaluation of Glass containers (as per IP)
Third Year B Pharm Notes, Syllabus, Books, PDF Subjectwise/Topicwise