Preparation of Creams (vanishing cream): Industrial Pharmacy Practical
Aim: Preparation of 20gm of vanishing cream.
A cream is a preparation usually for application to the skin. Creams are semi-solid emulsions of oil and water. They are divided into two types: oil-in-water (0/W) creams which are composed of small droplets of oil dispersed in a continuous water phase, and water-in-oil (W/O) creams which are composed of small droplets of water dispersed in a continuous oily phase. Oil-in-water creams are more comfortable and cosmetically acceptable as they are less greasy and more easily washed off using water) Water-in-oil creams are more difficult to handle. Vanishing creams get their name from the fact that they seem to disappear when spread on the skin. It is also known as foundation cream which are applied to skin to provide a smooth emollient base before the application of face powder and other face make up. Vanishing creams also known for their smooth, dry feel on the skin and their pearly sheen. Chemically they are oil-in-water emulsions consisting of stearic acid, an alkali, a
polyol and water. The cream helps the powder to adhere to the skin and also acts as skin protectant which prevents the damaging effect caused by the environmental factors.. One characteristic due to which these vanishing creams are preferred is the ‘sheen effect’. Rather than giving a caked look to the face, they give a natural attractive sheen to the skin. Vanishing Creams has the advantage of being non-greasy which makes them suitable for use during the day. It is equally effective for normal and oily skin types. One important constituent of the cream is hydroquinone. This chemical is well known for dispelling sallowness and freckles. Four percent hydroquinone applied consistently is supposed to vanish all the age spots. The purpose of the vanishing cream is to lighten unnecessary dark spots or discolouration on the skin.
Synonym: Foundation cream, face cream
Formulation of vanishing cream
|Ingredients||Quantity given||Quantity taken|
|Purified water||75.8 ml|
Apparatus: Beaker, measuring cylinder, glass stirring rod, thermometer. water bath pipette, spatula.
- Weigh all the required ingredients of vanishing cream properly and keep them separately.
- Take stearic acid and lanoline in a beaker and melt them at 60C.
- Take another beaker and add glycerin, tnethonalamine , water and heat up to 60C. Add the preparation of first beaker in a second beaker drop by drop with continuous stirring.
- After cooling add methyl paraben, propyl paraben, rose oil and mix them thoroughly to obtain uniform product. Provide a professional finish.
Packing: In a suitable closed collapsible tube is packed and Labeled. make. Store in well closed container, in cool place. Do not freeze.
- It helps to keep the skin moisturized.
- It is sometimes used as the base for cosmetics and make-up and evenjust plain foundation.
- Vanishing creams are also helpful in keeping the skin afresh
|Name of the test||Specification||Observation|
|Homogeneity||Homogeneous and consistent|
|Type of smear||Non- greasy|
|Emolliency||No residue left|
Vanishing cream is prepared and submitted.
Industrial Pharmacy I Practical
- Preformulation studies on paracetamol/aspirin/or any other drug
- Preparation and evaluation of Paracetamol tablets
- Preparation and evaluation of Aspirin tablets
- Coating of tablets- film coating of tables/granules
- Preparation and evaluation of Tetracycline capsules
- Preparation of Calcium Gluconate injection
- Preparation of Ascorbic Acid injection
- Quality control test of (as per IP) marketed tablets and capsules
- Preparation of Eye drops/ and Eye ointments
- Preparation of Creams (cold / vanishing cream)
- Evaluation of Glass containers (as per IP)
Third Year B Pharm Notes, Syllabus, Books, PDF Subjectwise/Topicwise