Food poisoning symptoms, treatment, medicine Social Pharmacy Notes
Food poisoning: (Acute gastroenteritis)
Ingestion of food and water contaminated either with bacteria and their toxins,
Inorganic substances or poisons derived from plants or animals.
Types of food poisoning :
- Chemical food poisoning:
- Food poisoning from plants and animals.
- Food poisoning by bacteria and their toxins. (Salmonella staphylococcus species etc)
Mode of Transmission:
- Ingestion of contaminated food and water.
- Attack of many persons at the same time.
Symptoms: similar signs and symptoms in all persons who have taken the same food.
Prevention & Control:
- Lab examination of food sample if available.
- Animal experimentation can be done by feeding rhesus monkeys with remaining food.
- Discard the canned food if you observe the gas formation.
- Protection and covering of food during processing and storage.
- Refrigeration should be done for the things to be stored overnight.
- Food sanitation measures such as hygiene of cooks and food handlers,inspection of food handlers and meat as well, pasteurization of milk, and health education should be provided to cooks and food handlers.
- Food should be freshly prepared and eaten at the same time.
F Y D Pharm & S Y D Pharm Notes, Books, Syllabus, PDF, Videos
Manisha Yogesh Chaudhari is working as an Assistant Professor at Kokan Gyanpeeth’s Rahul Dharkar College of Pharmacy, Karjat, Maharashtra, India. She has worked with Pfizer and Flamingo Pharmaceuticals. She is actively involved in Books writing, Review, and research paper writing as well as actively involved in contributing towards academic literature