Filariasis Symptoms, Causative agents, transmission, prevention, control
Infection with filarial parasites- W. bancrofti, B. malayi and B. timori.
Mode of Transmission:
- By bite of infected mosquito, the parasite is deposited near the site of puncture; it passes through the skin and reaches the lymphatic system.
- Elephantiasis of scrotum, legs, arms etc.
- Pulmonary eosinophilia
- Filarial arthritis.
Prevention & Control:
1. by vector control: -a) Elimination of breeding places of mosquitoes by sanitation wastewater disposal.
b) Using larvicides like abate and baytex.
c) Anti adult measures like pyrethrum spray.
2. Chemotherapy – Diethylcarbamazine (DEC) can be given to everyone in endemic areas or to those who are microfilaria positive.
3. Health education: About good drainage, anti-mosquito measures and filariasis treatment.
F Y D Pharm Notes, Books, Syllabus, PDF, Videos