Determination of reaction rate constant first order
BP407P Physical Pharmaceutics II Practical
To determine the reactant rate constant and half-life and the ester (methyl acetate or number of globules) at 0.5M HCL at room temperature.
APPARATUS AND CHEMICALS REQUIRED:
Conical flask (250 ml)
10 ml volumetric pipette
Ethyl acetate or methyl acetate
0.5 N HCL solution
0.25 N NAOH solution
Ice cold water
Preparation of hydrochloric acid solution (0.5N) IP:
Solutions of any normality XN may be prepared by diluting 85 x ml of HCL to 1000ml with water. Measure 850 ml of distilled water into a 1000ml volumetric flask. Add 42.5 ml of conc.HCL and slowly added. Finally make up the water in 1000ml.
Preparation of NAOH solution (0.25 N) IP:
Solutions of any normally XN may be prepared by dissolving 40 x gm of NAOH in water and diluting to 1000ml. weigh 10gm of NAOH and transferd into 1000ml volumetric flask. Add water slowly with stirring finally makeup the water into 1000ml.
PROCEDURE: KINETIC METHOD
100ml of 0.5N HCL solution is measured and transferred into a 250ml conical flask
It should be kept in the water bath for equilibrium (do not heat)
10ml of the given ester it transfer into the test tube and kept in the water bath for equilibrium. Normally it takes 10minutes
The acid solution its mix ester sample thoroughly and kept in water bath
Immediately after mixing 5ml of the mixer is withdrawn using the pipette and transferred in to a conical flask containing 10ml ice water (0 time)
The few drops of phenolphthalein indicator is added to the mixture
The reaction mixer is titrated against 0.25N NAOH solution. This value of alkali consumed represents V0.
5ml samples by periodically at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 75minutes. the volume consumed at each time interval represent Vt
The reaction mixture is heated at water bath at the 600c at 20 minutes
The mixture cooled to room temperature
5ml of sample by withdrawn at transfer into the conical flask containing 10 ml ice cold water. The titration is repeated and this value represents Vα.
The reaction rate constant (k) of the given data (methyl acetate or ethyl acetate) in 0.5N HCL acid is
From graphical method= minutes From substitution method= minutes
The half -life (t1/2) of the given ester (methyl acetate or ethyl acetate) in 0.5N HCL acid is From graphical method=
From substitution method=
Physical Pharmaceutics II Practical
- Determination of particle size, and particle size distribution using the sieving method
- Determination of particle size, and particle size distribution using the Microscopic method
- Determination of bulk density, true density and porosity
- Determine the angle of repose and the influence of lubricant on the angle of repose
- Determination of viscosity of liquid using Ostwald’s viscometer
- Determination of sedimentation volume with the effect of different suspending agent
- Determination of sedimentation volume with the effect of different concentrations of single suspending agent
- Determination of viscosity of semisolid by using Brookfield viscometer
- Determination of reaction rate constant first order.
- Determination of reaction rate constant second order
- Accelerated stability studies
Second Year B Pharm Notes, Syllabus, Books, PDF Subjectwise/Topicwise