Determination of moisture content and loss on drying: Pharm Engg Lab
To determine the moisture content and loss on drying.
- Petri dish
- Measuring cylinder
- Tray dryer
- Calcium carbonate
- Weighing balance
- Take a clean dry Petri dish and weigh it (x)
- Weigh 10g of calcium carbonate powder and transfer to Petri dish and weight it
- Add a sufficient amount of water with the help of a pipette to the powder until slurry forms.
- Again weigh the Petri dish and note down weight (y)
- Place the Petri dish in a tray dryer and weigh it every 5 min
- Allow it to dry until it’s constant weight then down the constant dry weight (z)
- Calculate the percentage loss on drying and moisture content for the sample.
The moisture content and loss on drying were determined
The percentage of moisture content is =
The loss on drying is =
- Weight of empty petridish (x) =
- Weight of empty petridish + sample + water (y) = Weight of empty petridish + sample + water (After drying at every 5 minutes) =
- Loss of drying =
Pharm Engg Chapterwise MCQ: UNIT-I MCQ * Flow of fluids * Size reduction * Size separation UNIT-II MCQ *Heat transfer *Distillation *Evaporation UNIT-III MCQ *Drying * Mixing UNIT-IV MCQ * Filtration * Centrifugation * UNIT-V MCQ Materials of construction * Corrosion
I. Determination of radiation constant of brass, iron, unpainted and painted glass.
II. Steam distillation – To calculate the efficiency of steam distillation.
III. To determine the overall heat transfer coefficient by the heat exchanger.
IV. Construction of drying curves (for calcium carbonate and starch).
V. Determination of moisture content and loss on drying.
VI. Determination of humidity of the air – i) From wet and dry bulb temperatures –use of Dew point method.
VII. Description of Construction working and application of Pharmaceutical Machinery such as rotary tablet machine, fluidized bed coater, fluid energy mill, dehumidifier.
VIII. Size analysis by sieving – To evaluate size distribution of tablet granulations – Construction of various size frequency curves including arithmetic and logarithmic probability plots.
IX. Size reduction: To verify the laws of size reduction using a ball mill and determining Kicks, Rittinger’s, Bond’s coefficients, power requirement and critical speed of Ball Mill.
X. Demonstration of colloid mill, planetary mixer, fluidized bed dryer, freeze dryer and such other major equipment.
XI. Factors affecting Rate of Filtration and Evaporation (Surface area, Concentration and Thickness/ viscosity)
XII. To study the effect of time on the Rate of Crystallization.
XIII. To calculate the uniformity Index for a given sample by using Double Cone Blender.
Second Year B Pharm Notes, Syllabus, Books, PDF Subjectwise/Topicwise
Pharma News Today 08 Nov 2022
Pharma News Today 07 Nov 2022
Pharma News Today 06 Nov 2022