Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics Theory
Introduction to Biopharmaceutics
Absorption; Mechanisms of drug absorption through GIT, factors influencing drug absorption through GIT, absorption of the drug from Non per oral extra-vascular routes.
Distribution Tissue permeability of drugs, binding of drugs, apparent, the volume of drug distribution, plasma and tissue protein binding of drugs, factors affecting protein-drug binding. Kinetics of protein binding, Clinical significance of protein binding of drugs
Elimination: Drug metabolism and basic understanding metabolic pathways renal excretion of drugs, factors affecting renal excretion of drugs, renal clearance, Non-renal routes of drug excretion of drugs
Bioavailability and Bioequivalence: Definition and Objectives of bioavailability, absolute and relative bio-availability, measurement of bioavailability, in-vitro drug dissolution models, in-vitro-in-vivo correlations, bioequivalence studies, methods to enhance the dissolution rates and bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs.
Pharmacokinetics: Definition and introduction to Pharmacokinetics, Compartment models, Non-compartment models, physiological models, One compartment open model. (a). Intravenous Injection (Bolus) (b). Intravenous infusion and (c) Extravascular administrations. Pharmacokinetics parameters – KE,t1/2,- Vd, AUC, Ka, Clt and CLR- definitions methods of eliminations, understanding of their significance and application
Multicompartment models: Two compartment open model. IV bolus Kinetics of multiple dosing, steady-state drug levels, calculation of loading and maintenance doses and their significance in clinical settings.
Nonlinear Pharmacokinetics: a. Introduction, b. Factors causing Non-linearity. c. Michaelis-menton method of estimating parameters, Explanation with an example of drugs.
Recommended Books: (Latest Editions)
- Biopharmaceutics and Clinical Pharmacokinetics by, Milo Gibaldi.
- Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics; By Robert F Notari
- Applied biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics, Leon Shargel and Andrew B.C.YU 4th edition,Prentice-Hall Inernational edition.USA
- Bio pharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics-A Treatise, By D. M. Brahmankar and Sunil B.Jaiswal,Vallabh Prakashan Pitampura, Delhi
- Pharmacokinetics: ByMilo Glbaldi Donald, R. Mercel Dekker Inc.
- Hand Book of Clinical Pharmacokinetics, ByMilo Gibaldi and Laurie Prescott by ADIS Health Science Press.
- Biopharmaceutics; By Swarbrick
- Clinical Pharmacokinetics, Concepts and Applications: ByMalcolm Rowland and
- Thomas, N. Tozen, Lea and Febrger, Philadelphia, 1995.
- Dissolution, Bioavailability and Bioequivalence, By Abdou H.M, Mack, Publishing Company, Pennsylvania 1989.
- Biopharmaceutics and Clinical Pharmacokinetics-An introduction 4th edition Revised and expanded by Rebort F Notari Marcel Dekker Inn, New York and Basel, 1987.
- Remington’s Pharmaceutical Sciences, ByMack Publishing Company, Pennsylvnia
Third Year B Pharm Notes, Syllabus, Books, PDF Subjectwise/Topicwise