Dr. Hemchandra P Tipnis – the man who ushered Pharmacy Profession in India on a new journey has just finished his own. You will continue to inspire us for long time.”
Retired Principal of Bombay College of Pharmacy and Central Executive Council Member of Indian Pharmaceutical Association (IPA) passed away on May 23, 2016 after a massive cardiac arrest.
Dr Hemchandra P Tipnis had humble beginnings, but rose to become a top in the Pharma Field, completed his BSc (Tech) and MSc (Tech) from University Department of Chemical Technology in 1958. Further completed his M.S. and Doctorate from University of California School of Pharmacy at San Francisco and University of Nebraska, Omaha respectively
He has started his career with UDCT as a Reader, Further worked as a Principal of Bombay College of Pharmacy (1971-1995). During his career strived hard to make attain prime position of Bombay College of Pharmacy as well as strengthening the Pharma Industry Institute Interaction
He have Guided several M. Pharm, M. Sc and Ph. D Students. He have many National and International Publications and Books on his credit.
Book titles to his credit includes:
• Community Pharmacy (Dr. H. P. Tipnis),
• Hospital pharmacy (Dr. H. P. Tipnis & Dr. Amrita Bajaj),
• Clinical Pharmacy (Dr. H. P. Tipnis & Dr. Amrita Bajaj),
• Principles and Applications of Biopharmaceuticals and Pharmacokinetics (Dr. H. P. Tipnis & Dr. Amrita Bajaj),
• Inorganic Pharmaceutical Chemistry (Theory) (Dr. H. P. Tipnis & Dr. A. S. Dhake),
• Pharmaceutical Chemistry (Dr. H. P. Tipnis & Dr. A. S. Dhake).
His research work includes Bioavailability studies, QSAR, Natural Pest Control Agents
He was elected as President of Indian Pharmaceutical Congress (IPC), in 2007
He was Scientific Convener of IPCs in 1988, 1989,1990 and 1991
The various awards to his credit includes:
• Lunsford Richardson Award, USA
• M. L. Khurana Award
• Eminent Pharmacist Award
• Lifetime Achievement Award of APTI